Wednesday 6 July 2011

If I were Google...

If I were Google...

I would forget trying to compete with Facebook in appealing to the "everyman" (and woman and child) and try and solve some of the real issues affecting information professional everyday.

Creating value would be my goal, giving access to scholarly articles via Google accounts (maybe via publisher deals, hello Springer, Elsevier etc etc), offering alerting services based on cluster searching (see f1000Medicine who offer this to their contributors, the one feature of the service I miss most from my time there and wish I could take with me).


Allow users to make a customisable "library" of all the pages they visit most often, and offer suggestions of other good information sources, make this an interactive dashboard where I can type in a Search term and see everything that my favorite pages offer. Like Reader for searching...

Solve my information overload and access issues, then Google you would be my hero.

So go on Google, stop messing around with social media and get back to your roots. Make my life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment